lilyelement

lilyelement

Dark Lover - J.R. Ward Dark Lover is the beginning of a pretty amazing series called the Black Dagger Brotherhood. The main characters in Dark Lover are Wrath and Beth. Throughout the series there are different main characters in each book, though it does include most/all of the other characters that you become familiar with as you read. (ie: Book 1 = Wrath, Book 2 = Rhage, Book 3 = Zsadist, etc.)

Wrath is a pureblood vampire who is king to a watered down line of vampires. He is in charge of the brothers, who are vampire warriors that protect their race and fight the bad guys. One of the brothers, Darius, asks Wrath to look after Beth (his daughter) for him, while the King scoffs a little he listens to reason and checks it out. Little does Wrath know that Beth is everything he is looking for in a woman.

Beth, a half human is unaware of her vampire side. She is not prepared for the changes that she will face, and she needs help. Beth is a journalist who is looking into a violent crime. She is a strong character that I find perfectly suited for Wrath. She keeps him in place, which someone needs to!

The writing changes prospective from Wrath to Beth to even other people. There are bits in the book that are in the bad guys perspective. The bad guys are called the Lessening Society (aka Lessers) who are ruled by the Omega, their all mighty evil overlord. While you might think the change in point of view would be confusing, I found it let me get a grasp of what each person was thinking and basically walk in their shoes. I felt that I was able to understand the characters better.

The way JR Ward writes made me so intrigued in all of the characters. I got a feel for each brother as I read and I wanted to know more about their stories. That is easily remedied by reading that person's book in the series.

Warnings:
*Please note that this series has sexual content quite a bit. If that is a no go for you, then I suggest you do not read this book!
*There are terms used throughout the entire series that will make no sense to you if you do not look at the glossary. It is slightly difficult to remember the terms used and their definitions. Luckily, Ward puts a glossary which you will put to good use until you are familiar with the wording. (ex: shellan, doggen, etc.)
*You will stay up and read this book, good luck putting it down.