lilyelement

lilyelement

Discount Armageddon - Seanan McGuire Verity Price, a cryptozoologist, hunts monsters that go bump in the night. Not every monster though, just the naughty ones that cause havoc in society. Verity comes from a long line of cryptozoologists which a few generations back broke from the Covenant, a group that believes all non-humans are evil and need to die.

The book started out strong and made me have high hopes that it would be excellent. Roughly halfway through I ran into a snag that I could not get over. The snag that I am speaking of is that one character was basically brainwashed into believing something their whole life. Yet that character changed their lifestyle / beliefs at the drop of a hat. I do not believe that could happen in most cases. I would have liked to see a progressive change throughout the book, not a I woke up and am a different person today type of change.

Another issue I have with the book is that it is full of monster names (ex: ahool, johrlac, etc) that the reader will get easily confused or not able to keep straight. I read the whole book and struggled somewhat only to find out there is a monster glossary in the back of the book. Why is this not in the front of the book?! I assume that most people are like me and do not read the back of the book first. I would have loved to reference the glossary while reading, but it is too late now.

The book is highly entertaining and worth reading, especially if you are into the kick butt females and paranormal characters. If you do decide to read this book, remember to look in the back if you get confused on what *insert monster name* is.