lilyelement

lilyelement

Word and Breath (Wordless Chronicles, #1) - Susannah Noel Word and Breath is set in a world where few people read and the government is like Big Brother. Some of the people that are able to read are employed by the Union to translate any suspicious messages. The organization that is sending coded messages is the Front who encourages free thinking and personal liberties.

Riana Cole lives a normal life, she goes to work as a reader and then goes home to take care of her sister Jannie. Her life changes quickly when her sister Jannie is kidnapped. After being exposed to the Front, Riana has no choice but accept their help. This puts her in a lot of dangerous situations and kept me on my toes while reading. I could see how her beliefs were changing as I was reading. It was refreshing, since most authors don't expose the readers to the change, they just sort of appear which annoys me. There is a slight love triangle in the book, but not really. Riana meets a Soul-Breather and comes to care and trust him. On the other hand she also cares for an old friend, and I was hoping they would be together when he was first introduced. All in all, Word and Breath is a great book that kept me on my toes and wondering who-dun-it.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of the book to give an honest review.